On the Day of the Procedure
To ensure you are ready for your procedure you should follow the guidelines listed below. If you have any questions or concerns please call us on 02 8833 7133.
At the time your appointment or consultation is made, you will be told how long you should fast for. Please adhere to the instructions you are given.
As a general guideline, if your operation is in the morning DO NOT eat, drink or smoke from MIDNIGHT before your operation
If your operation is in the afternoon DO NOT eat, drink or smoke after 6am on the day of your operation
Not even a drink of water is allowed.
Please follow any instructions given by your doctor or the staff. General guidelines on the day of your procedure are:
- Do not take your diabetic medications, but you must bring them with you
- You may take your other usual medications with only a sip of water if required
- Take any heart or blood pressure medications with only a sip of water
- If you are taking Warfarin or Clexane medication, it is important that you provide the centre with a recent INR blood test result taken a few days prior to admission
- Continue to take any blood thinners unless instructed by your surgeon, anaesthetist or General Practitioner
If you have any specific queries or concerns about your medications, please contact our friendly team who would be happy to assist you.
What to Wear
- Please wear clean, loose and comfortable clothes
- Before the operation, you may shower or wash as normal
- We suggest you wash your hair the day before surgery. It is recommended that you do not wash your hair again for up to ONE WEEK after the operation
- Do not bring any jewellery with you
- Do not wear any make up, perfumes, aftershave, spray deodorant or hairspray
- Leave your valuables at home
What to expect
Our friendly staff will check your details on arrival and make you comfortable in our patient waiting area.
Expect to be a minimum of three hours at the hospital on the day of your operation and do not make any plans for the rest of the day.
- Please allow adequate travelling and parking time so that you arrive on time and relaxed
- If your appointment is after hours please press intercom button located on the right hand side of the glass entry doors so that we can allow access
- You are most welcome to bring a friend or family member along who can be present during the operation
- Please ensure mobile telephones are switched off prior to going into theatre
- Contact us if you have a cold or feel unwell as soon as possible
- Please bring a pair of sunglasses with you to wear, as your eyes may be glare sensitive initially when you leave the centre
- You MUST arrange for someone to drive you home, or some other form of transport